01.01.2003 -jam - tomato
Tomato jelly with thyme flowers
« Send to a friend Print Send your comment
Do you have tons of tomatoes
that you don't know what to do with right now? Take advantage of them by transforming your harvest into a kind of preserve
. This preserve is a treat served with a nice tray of cheese
and cold cuts. I also like to use it occasionally instead of tomato paste in some sauce bases. »
- Squeeze juice from limes
- Peel tomatoes: cut cross in tomato skins, dunk tomatoes in boiling water for 1 min, drain and remove skin
- Cut tomatoes in quarters and seed well
- Pour water, sugar, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar and tomatoes into a pan
- Mix ingredients well
- Cook ingredients over low heat for 45 min to 1 hr, until all the ingredients are the consistency of a puree
- Pour jelly into previously sterilized jelly jars.
- The preserve will keep several months without problem.
SuggestionI particularly recommend serving this tomato jelly with sheep cheeses or goat cheeses. My self-indulgence is to slip a little onto a good chunk of well-aged Cantal.
I would recommend that you use this jelly in certain tomato-based sauces or in lieu of tomato paste. It goes especially well with simmered dishes with tomatoes and certain tajines.
If you are fan of Espelette hot pepper like me, I'd advise you to slip in 1 to 2 teaspoons during cooking.
Share this recipe