01.01.2003 -CONDIMENT - LEMONS
Preserved lemons with garlic and rosemary
« Send to a friend Print Send your comment
This is a tasty little delicacy that you should always have in your pantry. You will be pleased to discover its many uses - in your summer salads
, as an accompaniment to fish
or even to make tagines
. As a bonus, once it is finished you will be left with a deliciously flavored olive oil. »
- Peel and finely chop the garlic cloves
- Wash the lemons well under running water and dry them thoroughly. The lemons must be very clean and dry to avoid fermentation.
- Cut the lemons into thin 1/12"-1/8" (2-3 mm) slices
- Sprinkle a thin layer of coarse sea salt into a gratin or terrine dish
- Place a layer of lemon slices on top of the salt
- Sprinkle with the coriander seeds, chopped garlic and rosemary leaves
- Cover with a thin layer of sea salt
- Repeat these steps until all the lemon slices have been used
- Add the lemon juice that came out of the lemons during slicing to the terrine dish.
- Stir well
- Put the dish in the refrigerator and leave to mature for 2-3 days
- Once matured, sterilize a large glass jar that can be hermetically sealed. To sterilize it, first wash the dish thoroughly. Then plunge it into boiling water for 10 minutes. Let it dry on a clean cloth.
- Place the first layer of lemon slices in the bottom of the jar, packing them down gently to avoid having too much air between the slices.
- Cover with the olive oil
- Repeat these steps until all the lemon slices have been used. The olive oil must cover the lemon slices completely. Make sure the oil is properly distributed between the layers. You can give the jar a good shake to make sure the oil is evenly distributed.
- Seal the jar hermetically and place it somewhere cool and dark.
- Wait 1 week before consuming.
Feel free to add a few slices to your salads, use as an accompaniment to grilled fish or tempt your taste buds with some tasty sardines. It works equally well with poultry and is a vital ingredient in the chicken tagine with olives and preserved lemons recipe
When you fill your jar, I suggest you add 2 or 3 garlic cloves and let them marinade in the oil.
Share this recipe