01.01.2003 -beverage- liqueur
Limoncello (lemon liqueur)
« Send to a friend Print Send your comment
A concentrated flavor which will no doubt have you making a face. To clear your conscience, just tell yourself this is a beverage
fortified with vitamin C from lemons. I have my doubts. »
- 1 liter 90° alcohol
- 10 untreated (unwaxed) lemons
- 3 ½ cups (700 g) sugar
- 1 liter water
- Peel lemons with a potato peeler and set zest aside. The zest should be saved without the white part of the peel to keep your limoncello from being too bitter.
- Place zest in sealed jar alcohol
- Let rest in spot protected from light for 30 days, making sure to stir mixture every day.
- At the end of a week, prepare a simple syrup with a liter of water and sugar: boil water, add sugar and wait until all sugar is dissolved in water.
- Filter alcohol to remove all pieces of zest and add simple syrup.
- Let rest 1 month before consuming
- Serve limoncello well chilled as an aperitif but in small doses.
- If you have 45° brandy, just use 2 liters and don't bother with the water. You can use vodka as the alcohol base and you get a delicious lemon-flavored vodka.
- Like many fruit liqueurs, limoncello can serve as a base for making many desserts. I'm thinking for instance of tiramisu modified as well as zabagliones with limoncello.
Share this recipe