01.01.2003 -dessert - speculaas
« Send to a friend Print Send your comment
The recipe for the famous Italian Tiramisu
is reworked here into a Belgian version. The lady fingers have been replaced by speculaas
, which add a delicious spicy aroma to the whole dessert. I'm sure you'll enjoy it »
- Break eggs and separate egg whites from yolks
- Whiten egg yolks, gradually adding brown and vanilla sugars
- Mix well, adding sugar to obtain an even, foamy mixture. Eggs and sugar should form a very firm ribbon.
- Add mascarpone to eggs and mix with a whisk
- Beat egg whites until quite stiff
- Fold egg whites into egg / mascarpone mixture. Fold in carefully with a spatula, lifting mixture gently. Make sure egg whites do not collapse.
- In a deep dish, mix coffee with marsala (with maybe a bit of caramel)
- Dip speculaas cookies briefly in dish. Do not oversoak so cookies remain a little firm. The inside of the lady fingers should remain dry.
- Line bottom of terrine or dish with a layer of cookies
- Cover layer of cookies with mascarpone and egg mixture.
- Alternate layers of cookies and cream
- End with a layer of cream.
- Refrigerate dish for 4 h.
- Serve portions sprinkled with unsweetened cocoa
- You can replace the marsala with other liquors. You can use a dark rum, a coffee liqueur, vanilla liqueur or a vanilla rum arrangé. I also recommend you add a bit of caramel to your coffee alcohol mix.
- The egg yolks can also be whitened with vanilla sugar, a mixture of powdered sugar and golden syrup or with a bit of honey.
- If you make your own speculaas, you can make 5 cm square cookies. This will allow you make individual servings by alternating the cookies and layers of mascarpone cream.
Similar interesting recipesFor the daring who want to make homemade speculaas, here's the recipe for speculaas.
Share this recipe