01.01.2003 -drink - tea
Masala Chai (spiced tea)
« Send to a friend Print Send your comment
I discovered this little Indian
recipe during a short stopover on the road to Rajasthan. It's another way to enjoy the flavors of tea combined with a blend of different spices
Makes 4 cups
- Put all of the spices and the water into a saucepan and bring to the boil
- Remove from the heat as soon as it starts to boil
- Add the tea leaves and sugar
- Leave to infuse for 3 minutes or more if you prefer your tea stronger
- Heat up the milk separately
- Strain the tea before adding the hot milk and serving
SuggestionYou can also enjoy this spiced tea with the hot milk and sugar served separately. Then everyone can serve their tea as they choose.
Like any self-respecting Indian recipe, this one has many different variations, depending on the region and family traditions. I had the opportunity to taste one variation that just contained cardamom, ginger and saffron without milk and sugar, and it was also delicious.
If you do not have all of the spices, you can buy a ground spice mix in any good Indian grocery store, which can be added to the tea of your choice. It's often available as Masala tea.
Share this recipe