01.01.2003 -dessert - chocolate
Chocolate Charlotte with Coffee Cream
« Send to a friend Print Send your comment
The contrasts between lovely, bitter chocolate
and moist cookies
, strong and mild flavors, and dark and light colors all combine to make this a wonderful, classic dessert that is great for entertaining »
- 3 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup (150 g) finely granulated (caster) sugar
- ½ pint (¼ liter) milk
- 1 tsp ground coffee
- Brew the ground coffee in boiling milk (for the sauce)
- Let it brew and cool down in a pot with a lid.
- Break the chocolate into pieces, put them into a heatproof bowl and melt over a saucepan of simmering water on low heat
- Soften the butter
- Put the cream in a bowl in the freezer
To prepare the charlotte
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar for about 2 minutes until they are well combined
- Pour in the warm melted chocolate and stir with a wooden spatula
- Beat the softened butter in another bowl with the unsweetened cocoa powder
- Add this mixture to the egg yolk/chocolate mixture
- Whip the cream until stiff and add the powdered sugar
- Add this to the previous mixture by whipping it vigorously
- Pour the cold coffee onto a soup plate and soak the ladyfingers in the coffee.
- Line the inside of a charlotte mold with the ladyfingers and fill with the mousse
- Leave in the refrigerator for several hours so that the mousse sets
To prepare the coffee cream
- Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until the mixture turns pale
- Filter the coffee milk and add it to the mixture
- Pour into a saucepan and cook on low heat, stirring continuously until the cream is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon (like custard)
- Let it cool.
To present the charlotte
- Unmold the charlotte onto a slightly concave serving dish (immerse the mold in hot water or heat the bottom of it with a hairdryer so that the charlotte does not stick)
- Spoon some of the sauce around the charlotte and pour the rest into a sauce boat.
SuggestionChantilly cream and red berry coulis both go well with this dish. I also like to add sour cherries to the chocolate mousse.
You can also use a mascarpone mousse to make the charlotte.
Share this recipe